Friday, May 21, 2010

Airports

  
Airports are one of my favourite places ever. Whenever I'm at the airport, there always seems to be excess time, so sometimes I take this time to just people watch; It's amazing how much you can learn from others without even getting to know them.


Whether it be at arrivals or departures, the stir of emotions you see in the people's faces are simply priceless. 

The departures section is always somber as people say goodbye to their loved ones. I once saw what must have been the departure of a father from his family. He had with him his wife and three kids, one of them a toddler who could not stop crying and throwing out her arms everytime her dad took a step further towards the gates. I could tell the father did not want to go either, as he stepped back, picked her up and gave her a hug each time until he absolutely had to go.


On the other hand, arrivals has a more upbeat and happy atmosphere, where friends, family, and couples reunite. The moment  they see their loved one exit through those sliding doors could possibly be the best thing ever. There are smiles all around, hugs exchanged, and rambling chatter as they eagerly catch up on lost times. I once had to sit at arrivals for more than an hour because of a delayed flight, but I didn't get bored at all. Watching grandparents wait for their grandchildren with colourful balloons, and husbands waiting for their wives with bouquets of roses never gets old.

6 comments:

  1. I work at the airport and I often see these scenery. Some of them are really touching and just bittersweet: ) but I agree that it is mostly exciting for people who are traveling

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always like watching ppl in the airport~ and yes, i could totally see the hugs and goodbyes at the departure sections...

    ReplyDelete
  3. People watching is one of the things I enjoy too! Every interesting post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love airports! Especially when I am the one going on vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love waiting at the arrivals :) its soo exciting to reunite with people again !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arrivals are so much fun and so exciting! I agree that watching the joy that you see so much of at an airport can be very rejuvenating and refreshing itself. I look forward to continuing to follow your blog:)

    ReplyDelete